EMILIANO & JAEHEE
emiliano@lacasapark.com  917 406 2854
jaehee@lacasapark.com  917 373 1548
Take the C train to Clinton Washington | Map

IMG_0764

First then I literally took a few I-phone pictures of “Steel House” in Twill magazine in one of those  small deli/magazine shop in SoHo today.  I have seen this house published in other books or magazines, but today, I got on his website www.robertbruno.com ( please check out his quick time video! and everything else!)

The Architect and sculptor, Robert Bruno has been working on and building this rather bigger scaled steel sculpture than a house as a home to himself for over 28 years now. As his Website opens up and you can see a line , ‘think out of the box’ is the perfect caption of Mr. Bruno’s approach to his “STEEL HOUSE”.

IMG_0762

IMG_0765

IMG_0763As my side note, I do like this editorial spread with architecture this time in Twill magazine. It was done quite tastefully rather than slap some fashion on whatever that is. Regardless the special connection and relationship between the fashion and architectural world just to mention proportions, lines, tailoring/sculpturing, I do think using or applying “fashion=dressed women in good or bad way” to everything like car commercial, selling bottled water, is such a cliche and desperate and boring approach to the product. Boring.

IMG_0766The magazine cover.

And below are a few photos from Robert Bruno’s website ( with permission).

big steel house 1

big_03

big_11

How beautiful all of these are. Especially now I know that this is meant rather a gigantic sculpture than a reeeeeeaaly a residential house. There’s something more ” Pure” about what all of these are.  It’s there just to be.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

10 Comments so far

1. Lawson on November 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Just a side note to your side note… I didn’t see anything being sold here except the idea that fashion is not devoid of intellect. Beauty compliments beauty. It is the Wilsonian Idealism of Lippman and Bernays that cater to our reptilian mind to sell us what we don’t want that repels you and I agree. Consider Mohawk Valley Formulae or Mitchells “Graves of Acadamie” Twill #12 is a wonderful magazine to hold and read and I can’t wait for the next issue on Democracy….you should consder a submission, judging from your insitefull comments. FYI check out RobertBruno.com for some more views.
    Lawson

2. christina bruno on February 23, 2010 2:02 am

I thought your postings were lovely… i can send you some original photos from those pages. i’m roberts daughter, christina. please feel free to email me back

3. jaehee on February 23, 2010 4:46 am

Hi Chrstina.
    I feel honored you have approached me! your father’s work is something I can’t just express with couple of words.
    I would love to see some more original photos. That would be even more honor.
    I really appreciate it!

4. Stephanie Melton on March 11, 2010 1:18 pm

I had not heard of Mr. Bruno’s passing until just today. I went on a trip to Europe with EF tours years ago and would love to get in contact with Christina. I know this is a long shot but if someone could pass my email address on to her I would be very happy to hear from her and how she is doing.

Stephanie (still laughing about “Stuff”)

5. jaehee on March 11, 2010 2:55 pm

wow I didn’t know about it either. Did it just happen? What a huge loss…! May him rest in the peace…

6. Valerie Blonski on May 2, 2011 4:54 pm

Dear Christina, I don’t think you know me, but I know about you. Your dad and
    I went to Dominican College. I was just a first day Freshman and your dad a
    Senior was sitting in the lounge at the dormitory. I was kind of sad because my
    parents just dropped me off just a few hours before . I have very fond memories of your daddy and would love to share them with you if ever you
    would like. I assure you, they are all good and some very funny. When you
    were born, I was living in Florida and a large envelope reached me with pic-
    tires of you at about 3 months old. You were just adorable and I was so hap-
    py to get them. I went hunting for the best stuffed animal I could find and ended up with a huge raccoon. Your mom wrote me back and said she just
    loved it and it was the biggest and best toy you received. That made me very
    happy. The thankful card was so kind with pictures of the Charlie Brown char-
    characters all around. I feel so bad that I didn-t know about your dad’s Illness.
    I would have wanted to talk with him and meet you and your mom. I am sure
    that you have many wonderful memories to last a life time and I have some
    to. If ever you care to correspond, I would enjoy hearing from you. You are
    a very special girl.

Best Regards, Valerie Blonski

valblonski@gmail.com

7. Pam Arnold on May 31, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Christina!
    Please accept my condolences and deepest sympathy in the loss of your dad. I worked at Logans Kennels for many,many years. I knew your great grandma Stella, and we use to go often to Denny’s for coffee. (Her favorite place, and favorite drink. :-)I was fortunate enough to get to see that beautiful home being built from the ground up, by way of the good ol fashioned VCR tapes that were sent to your grandmas, then sent on to Don Logan (your grandma Dolores’s brother.) They were all so very proud of what he was accomplishing, one of the most unique structures in the world! I also remember the Steele structure that he had built behind your great grandpa & grandmas home in San Diego. And I also remember when he invented that irrigation system. Such a brilliant, talented man. I am still in touch a couple of times a year with Don & Dorothy, but unfortunately I don’t remember them telling me about your dad passing away. I do know that your grandma Dolores does go and visit them in Arizona, (one of their “get-a-ways” for the winter months.)And your grandma & Dorothy have traveled just about everywhere in the world. (Don wouldn’t go, as he didn’t like flying.) lol Anyway, I am, again, so very sorry for your loss. You and the family will be in my prayers.
    Take Care
    ~All my best to you & the family~
    Pam

8. Stijn Van den Bulck on October 16, 2011 3:39 am

Dear Christina,

My name is Stijn and i am a fashion student from Belgium. For our first assignment we have to design a skirt, inspired by a building.

As you can probably guess, i have chosen your father’s magnificent structure as my inspiration. But while searching for documentation and interviews/spreads/books about it, i found almost nothing. So i was hoping you could be able to send me anything you have about your father, his work, his inspiration(s),..
    Spreads in magazines or books are also nice to know. Just any kind of information would be so welcome.

sincerely yours and my (late) condoleances for your loss,

stijn van den bulck
    Ghent, BELGIUM

9. Rebecca on July 19, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Christina! We are doing a new TV series and would love to feature your father’s steel home. I couldn’t find your contact info, so I’m hoping this finds you well! My number here at the office is 818-333-5032 x4132 or you can email me. rebecca@tremendousinc.com

Thank you!!